KEYSTONE XL BEGINS CARRYING CRUDE OIL AHEAD OF OBAMA’S FINAL DECISION ON PIPELINE
TransCanada (TSX, NYSE: TRP) began Saturday to move about 3 million barrels of oil into the $2.3 billion Gulf Coast line, the southern leg of the Keystone XL pipeline, which runs from Oklahoma to the Texas coast.
The news, reported by The Globe and Mail, came on the same day that environmentalists stepped up their fight against the northern leg of the project, which would run from Canada’s oil sands fields in Alberta to Steele City, Neb., where it would connect with other lines to move crude south.
The Calgary-based company is aiming to deliver 700,000 barrels of crude oil per day from Cushing to Texas, beginning next year.
TransCanada still is waiting for the Obama’s administration to determine whether it would be allowed to build the northern leg of the Keystone XL pipeline, a required step because it crosses an international border.
As the State Department prepares its final review of the northern segment, environmentalists met with authorities Monday in a closed-door meeting, asking them to revise the department’s conclusion that carbon emissions related to oil sands development in Canada would not change much, with or without Keystone XL.
While an effort to curb emissions would help Canada’s case, according to experts, The Wall Street Journal reports the Canadian government is going in another direction.
Canada’s government approved the expansion of an oil-sands mine late last week with Royal Dutch Shell.
It is the latest in a string of efforts to ramp up oil-sands production, according to the WSJ.
The deal expands a part of an open-pit surface mine, adding on 100,000 more barrels of oil a day for production from the site.
Shell has not signed off on the deal yet but is reviewing the Canadian government’s terms.
The decision came after a long environmental impact assessment by regulators and a second approval from Alberta, where the oil sands are located.
by: Cecilia Jamasmie
This article has been re-posted for sharing purposes.
To read it via the original source, click here.
Photo sourced from: www.canalazul24.com
17 Notes/ Hide
- daveedjunior reblogged this from bauenstark
- blind-living reblogged this from bauenstark
- biko-snapped reblogged this from bauenstark
- evanarchy reblogged this from radical-leftism
- thatonebassistdude reblogged this from radical-leftism
- liberationator reblogged this from radical-leftism
- radical-leftism reblogged this from ragemovement
- josephboutilier reblogged this from resistkxl and added:
- brutalductape reblogged this from occupywatchdog
- brutalductape likes this
- ragemovement reblogged this from dentonsocialists
- di-atom likes this
- tpartythis reblogged this from occupywatchdog
- occupywatchdog reblogged this from resistkxl
- resistkxl reblogged this from bauenstark
- bauenstark posted this